Welcome to The Pink Orchid Blog! This blog is an extension of my YouTube Channel. Here you can find background information on my posted videos. Also there are some articles you can read that I have written in the past before I started to focus mainly on my Dutch Beautyblog and on vlogging in English over at YouTube.

Follow The Pink Orchid On:

Follow Me on Twitter’ Twitter Atom/RSS Bloglovin'

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Up Close & Personal: Diary-entry 1; Introduction Day


This week I started with the Beauty Therapist Study and in this article I tell you all about the introduction day where I had to pick up my materials.
Are you interested in knowing what materials I received exactly? Then click here for the list of materials, linen & clothing.
...................................................................................................................................................................
Last Thursday it was finally there! The introduction at my school; picking up materials. I was really looking forward to it, because well who wouldn’t love getting so many beauty supplies, right? But many can be a little bit too much and believe me that’s an understatement.

6.00.-7.30: ‘Getting up early’

The biggest challenge I was facing, or at least I thought it was the biggest challenge, was the getting up early. I am so not a morning person, just ask my mom since she mostly is the victim of my morning outbursts (sorry mom!). I had to get up at 6 a.m., which is quite the change from the time I normally get up: 10 a.m. And as expected I had to drag myself out of bed that morning. It was freezing outside, so all I wanted to do was stay in my warm and comfy bed. But somehow, don’t ask me how, I was able to drag myself out of bed and in and out of the bathroom  within 20 minutes. Luckily I’ve got the sweetest mom in the world, so breakfast was all ready when I came downstairs. After breakfast I had about 45 minutes to get some clothes on, do my hair and my make-up. Yes, 45 minutes may seem plenty of time, but since I’m the world slowest person in the morning it was just enough to get completely ready. By then it was nearly 7.30, 15 minutes left to catch the bus. 

7.30 – 8.30: ‘Getting my ass in bus 280’ 

Well there I went, me, my bag with wallet and all and a very empty trolley.  I had never travelled with a trolley before and it was more difficult than I thought, every time the sidewalk got a bit bumpy the trolley flipped around, it was so damn annoying. Can’t imagine what it would be like if it had snowed. I was glad I was in the bus, and to my surprise I realized then that I wasn’t nervous at all and really hadn’t been nervous at all that morning. Which is quite a miracle, because I normally get nervous for everything, doesn’t matter how big or small, I always feel like throwing up before I have to go do something new.
The bus ride was very comfortable, didn’t even get anxious when we got stuck in traffic and I didn’t get worried when I realized the bus took a whole different route in the morning than it does in the evening. And I was pleased to find that I arrived at the station in time to catch the next bus.

8.30-9.05: ‘Taking the wrong bus’
But it went all downhill from there. First I couldn’t even find the escalator down, so I had to carry my trolley down on a normal stairs. Then I had to hurry to catch the bus, which I luckily managed to do just in time. But then when I got out of the bus, I found I wasn’t where I was supposed to be. I thought I’d been smart to take a bus that had ‘Galgenwaard’ as a last stop, because I’d also figured it would not be as crowded as the bus I normally took. Big mistake! Because I ended it up being on the wrong side of the building and I had no idea how to get to the right side. It took me about 15 minutes to figure it out. And as you can probably can guess by now: I was too late. The only upside to it was that I was not the only one arriving too late. But still, I really don’t like having to hurry. 
  
9.05 – 10.45: ‘At school’
We then finally got to the fun part of the day or so I thought. I met the others, only to find that I was the youngest one there. Not a big deal for me, but I somehow got the idea that the others saw the age difference more as a problem then I did. But I guess it’s just a matter of getting to know each other a little better. Anyway, we all got a large box filled with the beauty supplies, a bag with linen and I believe it was another bag with books. I wasn’t worried at all if it was all gonna fit in my trolley, because of all people I had the biggest trolley and there were even some persons who only had a few bags. We had to get all the products from the box and bags and lay it out on a salon couch. Then I got a bit worried, because a whole lot more things than I had imagined came out of those box and bags. After getting all the materials etc. out it was time to check if we had everything and we went through a list of 3 pages long together. It was going a bit too fast, but someone who was waiting at the school was so kind to help us, since she’d already followed the entire Beauty Therapy course. We had to divide everything into two sections: products for the body and products for the face. And it took about an hour before we were all finished. That was quite fun, but because it all went so fast I had hardly had the time to take a better look at all the products. But at the same time I was very glad it all didn’t take long, because I had lots of things to do in the afternoon. Eventually there was some things missing and some things I had double, unfortunately they had to order the missing products because they didn’t have them in stock. After we finished dividing all the products it was time to take them home. It took me ages to get everything in my trolley, just to find it didn’t have enough space and that I would have to use another two bags before everything was all packed. While doing this we also had to fit the clothing we got, which as expected was way too large; size S (8) was the smallest they had when it came to the trousers and I was drowning in it, size M (10) was the smallest for the jacket, but they could order it a size down, which I said yes to. In the meantime I have already bought a complete outfit online, so I think I’ll let them keep the jacket in return for a refund. Well then it was back to the impossible task of packing everything and I was the last one to get out of the doors. I got a bit irritated then because people were laughingly asking if I had everything. Oh thank god there was an elevator, else I wouldn’t have been able to get downstairs.

10.45-11.05: ‘How on earth am I gonna get all this in a bus?!’
I dragged my very heavy trolley and two large bags, which were too full to close, to the bus stop. Of course the bus drove away right in front of me.  The time I had before the next bus arrived I used to re-arrange some things in the bags to make it a bit easier to carry. But I didn’t have enough time, because within 5 minutes the next bus arrived. I had to hurry to get everything in the bus, while also checking in with my ‘ov-chipkaart’ (public transport card) at the same time. It was an absolute hell, I was so relieved that there was still place to sit and I sat next to a very nice girl who helped me out of the bus later. I also came across a fellow-student of mine in the bus, who had left most of her stuff behind at school because it was impossible for her to take home with the tiny trolley she had. Oh btw the other students all came with their own cars so it was a lot easier for them to take everything home. 

11.15-11.25: ‘How on earth am I gonna get to the next bus?’
Once out of the bus I still had a very challenging journey ahead. I had to carry all those bags and my trolley to the other side of the station to get my next bus. I had to make several stops because it was just too heavy for me. Just when I was almost there I saw someone who I hadn’t seen in a while, so she started chatting with me. Me staying polite made conversation, but all I wanted was to get away and get into my next bus. I took the escalator down, luckily I couldn’t miss this escalator like I did with the other one haha, and I almost fell off because of the weight of the bags and the trolley pushing me forward.

11.25-11.28: ‘I’m finally in the bus heading home’
 I made it down in one piece and I did have some luck that day because I only had to wait 5 minutes for the bus to arrive. Again there was a very helpful girl who offered to carry my trolley into the bus while I checked in. Yes, there are still Good Samaritans out there. There was no proper room to sit with my trolley so I had to sit in the handicap/buggy section, but at least I sat. I called my mom while in the bus and asked her if she would be willing to meet me at the bus stop and help me carry everything home. 30 minutes later I left the bus, without help this time even though there was a person I knew that also got out of the bus at the same stop but she just stared and walked right pass me. Ah well, can’t expect everyone to be so friendly to help, right? 

12.05-12.25: ‘Hobbling home’
5 minutes later my mom appeared, with comfortable shoes for my feet instead of those 4 inch heels I was still wearing, and a huge bag. I took the trolley, my mother took the other two and we hobbled home. Not much time to rest though, because an hour later I had to go to work. At the end of the day every muscle in my body ached and it did for two days.

Well, that was the story of my very first ‘adventure’(uhum…) as a Beauty Therapist Student. Hopefully I will be able to tell a more positive story next time. But even though I had a really rough day carrying all those supplies etc. home last Thursday, at least I can say I got my money’s worth.    

No comments:

Post a Comment